[Gllug] [OT]friendly wifi spots @ central london ?

lesleyb at herlug.org.uk lesleyb at herlug.org.uk
Mon Aug 17 09:05:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 17, 2009 at 09:47:12AM +0100, pavithran wrote:
> 2009/8/15 Carles Pina i Estany <carles at pina.cat>:
>
> >> Are there any free and friendly wifi spots in these areas .
> >>
> >> Even a nice cafe with cheap rates will do :)
> >
> > I haven't checked personally but I have been told that Pret a Manger
> > chain has Wifi (and you can find easily everywhere). Some other chain
> > has too (searching in some searcher for Pret a Manger wifi looks like
> > it's true :-) )
>
> hey charles,
> Pret a Manger was good . When I went to it , there were 2 people with
> mac's and they happily were connected :(
>
> I couldn't connect because of my broken driver software from ralink
> for 2.6.30 kernel.
>
> I tried for 2 minutes but I fel it's better if I eat my baquette and
> be on my way :)

I have used my Dell with

0c:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 3945ABG [Golan] Network Connection (rev 02)
Linux 2.6.26-2-amd64
and the admittedly non-free experimental firmware-iwlwifi package available from http://www.uk.backports.org/debian/.

I have used this combo successfully at an hotel in Burnley and libraries with no connection problems.

All I can do is confirm it works.  Does anyone know the state of play of free software on this chipset?
And what are you sing with 2.6.30 as device driver?

Regards

L.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk