[Gllug] Home sweet home

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 28 14:10:51 UTC 2009

I've just installed OpenSuSE 11.2 on my test machine, and it went
through a breeze This was something of a relief, since I've never
actually updated a Linux OS before.

However, I've now got what I hope is a minor problem, SuSE
automatically allocates new partitions for its installation, thus, in
the first instance, making things easy for a dummy like me. In
particular, the default is to create /home on a separate partition to
everything else. This, I have been told, is the way to enable my data
to be accessible to the new OS.

But, because the installation procedure just creates two partitions,
one for /home and one for the rest, the new /home partition is empty.
I can access my data perfectly well if I boot up the old version of
SuSE, so it's not lost. It's just invisible to SuSE 11.2.

Is there any way I can get the two OS's to look at the same partition
when I try to access /home. Is there anything clever I can do with
YaST? Or command-line stuff would be perfectly acceptable. I surely
should be able to tell the system which partition to look at to
find /home?

--
 All the best,
 John