[Gllug] Home sweet home

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Mon Dec 28 14:39:46 UTC 2009

On Mon 28 Dec, John G Walker wrote:

> I've just installed OpenSuSE 11.2 on my test machine, and it went
> through a breeze This was something of a relief, since I've never
> actually updated a Linux OS before.
>
> However, I've now got what I hope is a minor problem, SuSE
> automatically allocates new partitions for its installation, thus, in
> the first instance, making things easy for a dummy like me. In
> particular, the default is to create /home on a separate partition to
> everything else. This, I have been told, is the way to enable my data

> to be accessible to the new OS.

   The problem you need to get round is that your personal settings for the
new system will be in your new /home, which will probably not match those
for your old /home, although your general files and data from the old /home
can be shared. You could automount your old /home partition as something
like /old_home (is it /etc/fstab for SuSE?) and then create one or more
symlinks to the relevant personal files using

ln -s [old_filename] [new filename]

see man ln

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)