[Gllug] performance difference between a swap partition vs a swap file.>>>>>

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Wed Dec 2 09:51:14 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 02 December 2009, Narender wrote:
> I have done a lot of research, but I do not have any real world
> experience so I'm hoping you can help me understand the real world
> differences in performance. The research tells me that if you create a
> swap file on an empty disk and on a OS using kernel 2.6 then the
> performance differences are minor, but that the swap partition is a
> slight favorite in terms of pure performance.

There's far more to it than just file vs. partition - is a swap partition on
its own physical device? What filesystem is a swap file created on? Are the
disks ide/sata/scsi/something else? etc. etc.

And as Tethys says, if there's a practical need for more performance then you
really shouldn't be looking at swap to get it!

> Our Scenario:
>
> Raid 1 146GB partition
> 33GB Swap File created on / (Note: the swap file was created when the
> OS was built, so the hard drives were not full and they were very
> empty)
> Kernel 2.6
>

> Best Regards

“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk