[Gllug] Internet connection through mobile phone

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Sun Dec 13 19:14:41 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-12-13 at 17:21 +0000, Robert McKay wrote:

> One other option I'm considering is getting some kind of parabolic
> dish wifi antenna and trying to hook into thecloud or the
> BTFON/BTOpenzone hotspot at starbucks (this actually just about works
> without a special antenna but it does drop out and there aren't
> currently any attractive price-plans for permanent connections to
> openzone APs).

If you're planning to construct a high gain wi-fi aerial, the parabolics
are a PITA to make.  Look at the "Pringles Tube" designs (I've got one
here that works reliably over 600 metres, and other homebrew Yagi
designs.  The only tricky part is getting the feed point match correct -
however, the hard bits have been done for you by the aerial hackers like
me - just use the dimensions described.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk