[Gllug] Technology and UK Education

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Wed Dec 30 14:48:59 UTC 2009

On Wed 30 Dec, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

> On 30/12/2009 13:45, Bernard Peek wrote:
> > PTAs are a possible route into schools. for FOSS.
>
> I can tell you from personal experience that pitching FOSS or FOSS-based
> products and services to education is really hard work.
>
> It took literally months to get a technology provider for an LEA
> (MEWAN)to sign up to antibodyMX, and that was via a direct route; I
> didn't have to go via their front door. It has been well worth the time
> invested, though and I know that they have done some internal
> newsletters mentioning their successful use of a FOSS-based service.

   I received a reply from the council Director Business Services Group that
"Some councols, notably Camden, are reporting significant efficiencies from
open source developments" and Ealing were actually using Solaris and Linux,
but they were worried about the costs of retraining staff, although there
was no hint that the council might wish to get involved in any educational
project.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk