[Gllug] Wiping free space.

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Dec 29 16:08:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 03:42:11PM +0000, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> On 29/12/09 15:36, Rich Walker wrote:
> > On 29/12/2009 15:22, JLMS wrote:
> >
> >> /var/tmp is supposed to be persistent between boots, I have seen some
> >> dumb applications wanting to find something there to function
> >> properly, so beware :-)
> >
> > *sound of head banging on desk*
>
> It's defined that way in the FHS:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARTMPTEMPORARYFILESPRESERVEDBETWEE

Indeed, but no sane app should depend on this behaviour.

'rm -rf /var/tmp/*' is a perfectly valid thing for an admin to do if,
say, /var/tmp is filling up and preventing the machine from booting.

Apps should store cached data that they want to be persistent
somewhere else, like /var/cache (still allowing the admin to delete
it) or /var/lib.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones