[Gllug] Wiping free space.

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Tue Dec 29 15:59:55 UTC 2009

On 29/12/2009 15:42, Simon Wilcox wrote:
> On 29/12/09 15:36, Rich Walker wrote:
>> On 29/12/2009 15:22, JLMS wrote:
>>
>>> /var/tmp is supposed to be persistent between boots, I have seen some
>>> dumb applications wanting to find something there to function
>>> properly, so beware :-)
>>
>> *sound of head banging on desk*
>
> It's defined that way in the FHS:
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#VARTMPTEMPORARYFILESPRESERVEDBETWEE
>
> What was that saying about the great thing about standards ?

That's fair enough then. Big problem we were/are having was updatedb
uses it for the database during rebuild. And tends to fill the tree...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk