[Gllug] Internet connection through mobile phone

sean S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Mon Dec 14 00:07:52 UTC 2009

Andy Smith wrote:
> Hi Christopher,
>
> On Sat, Dec 12, 2009 at 10:09:59PM +0000, Christopher Hunter wrote:
>
>> No!!!  3G is largely unavailable (in 80% of the country, it's a figment
>> of the "service" provider's imagination).  Where it does actually exist,
>> it's flaky as hell - it's not reliable enough for even the most casual
>> use.
>>

> I can only say that my experience is very different.
>
> I have a "3" broadband dongle for Internet access whilst out and
> about, and in most locations it works absolutely fine.  So far these
> locations have included out and about in London, at home in TW14, in
> a couple of hotels in Dublin, Plymouth, and Looe (Cornwall).
>
> It even works sometimes on train and car journeys, though it can
> drop out for several minutes at a time then which is frustrating.

i have a similar experience. i have 3 mobile just for when i'm
travelling. it costs £5 per month for 1G of data with a free dongle. i
use ssh, ftp and some surfing. it seems to work ok in london and on
regular train journeys to southampton and cardiff. on those journeys i
get mostly HSDPA, small sections of 3G and some sections with no
connection, tunnels, deep cuttings etc.
i sometimes have to use it for a couple of days when i'm away from work
and home, and wouldn't want to use it for much longer, but it's ok for
maintaining a connection with work and web surfing.

the days of 300baud on a modem, now that was slow. how on earth did
internetworking ever catch on :)

regards

sean

--
The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk