[Gllug] tv tuner with hdmi input

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Wed Dec 16 13:27:23 UTC 2009

On 12/10/2009 05:26 PM, Andre Newman wrote:
> Being an Engineer for a moment; do you have good signal strength,
 > is your dish properly aligned, not damaged, trees overgrown although
 > that's usually a spring problem. Are your cables good quality (not
 > shotgun cable), water sealed at the dish, not rubbed through
 > somewhere  (sky love throwing cables over roofs) and good plugs
 > properly fitted at the Sky box end??

The only real 'metric' I have to go on at the moment is what is reported
by the sky box itself, which seems to indicate a very good signal,
everytime I've looked. I am going to do some research and see if I can
somehow record ( snmp -> rrdgraph! ) the signal strength. Will post here
and let you guys know what I come up with.

w.r.t cable - the cable distance from dish to sky box is just under
seven feet, the cable looks solid (its the usual dual-core that they now
use), no water logging around and connectors look and 'feel' good. Dish
alignment ? no idea - but given that the box reports a good connection
I'm guessing its fine.

On the 'admin' menu, there seems to be some more detailed info - when I
get back home today will dig that up and see if any of it is relevant.

thanks

--
Karanbir Singh
London, UK        | http://www.karan.org/ | twitter.com/kbsingh