[Gllug] tv tuner with hdmi input

Andre Newman andre at dinkum.org.uk
Thu Dec 10 17:26:01 UTC 2009

On 10 Dec 2009, at 04:50, Andrew Davies wrote:

> Hauppauge make a Component 1080i recording box  that is compatible with
> Linux (to what level I'm unsure) and this is the only way I've seen to
> record a HD signal.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR

There's currently a rather long thread on the mythtv list about problems with this, I've always felt that capturing and re-compressing the Sky Box output is really just asking for problems. If your Sky box is crashing the HD-PVR will just record the frozen or otherwise broken output, you will have the unreliability of your Sky box multiplied by the unreliability of a HD-PVR multiplied by the unreliability of MythTV!

There are ways not involving the Sky box at all, be very persistent and creative with your searches and you will see, make sure everything is very up to date.

I'm a long time MythTV user but look at VDR too, some prefer it, it's certainly simpler and a lot more robust, you may find that MythTV isn't any more stable than your Sky box.

Being an Engineer for a moment; do you have good signal strength, is your dish properly aligned, not damaged, trees overgrown although that's usually a spring problem. Are your cables good quality (not shotgun cable), water sealed at the dish, not rubbed through somewhere (sky love throwing cables over roofs) and good plugs properly fitted at the Sky box end??

I find that all PVR's (including MythTV) crash much more often if the video (and EPG) signals they are receiving have a high error rate.

Andre
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk