[Gllug] [OT] Odd PSU / connector

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Dec 9 05:54:52 UTC 2009

Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 15:26 +0000, general_email at technicalbloke.com
> wrote:
>
>> Dan wrote:
>>
>>> Hello

>>> that as there are 4 pins that there are 2 power rails as per Molex -
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molex_connector
>>>
>>> I'd buy a cheap external HDD enclosure with a compatible lead.  That will
>>> cost you less than £40.00.
>>>
>>> BTW have you tried opening the PSU and seeing if their are any voltage or
>>> amperage information on the board?
>>>
>>> Dan
>>>

>> Having looked on ebay there's several standard pin layouts  and voltages
>> for this type of connector e.g. 12v+5v, 12v, 19v, -12v+12v. Ones that
>> look bulky enough to run a small PC & drive seem to be around £35 but I
>> don't want to risk A) The cash or B) Frying the machine. I guess my last
>> hope is to either contact the manufacturer or find another one of these
>> boxes and get the PSU details from the owner. Sadly there's no useful
>> markings on the board or even on the casing :/
>>

> Roger
>
> I'm back in London at the weekend, and if you're not the other end of
> the world, I could take a look (with my electronic engineer's hat on),
> have a little continuity test with a multimeter, and work out what the
> pins do!  Designing a simple, cheap PSU would then be simple (though we
> might choose to change the obscure 4-pin connector!).
>
> Drop me a mail off-list, and I'll see if I can help.
>
> Regards
>
> Chris

Thank you Chriostopher, that's very kind of you. The good news is I have
managed to contact someone else who owns one of these boxes and have
asked them to forward me details of their power supply. If it turns out
to be something that's not available off the peg I may still need to
build a power supply for it but that should at least remove the
guesswork. I will drop you a mail off list if that turns out to be the case.

Thanks again,

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk