[Gllug] [OFFTOPIC] Re: Vista vs seven

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Dec 8 14:03:16 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 08, 2009 at 08:54:24AM +0000, Peter Childs wrote:
> 2009/12/8 David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk>:
<snip>
> I can't remember the last thread that was actually on-topic.....

This might refresh your memory:
7 Dec = Camcorders
6 Dec = LVM
2 Dec = Swap partitions versus swap files
1 Dec = Encrypting system partitions

> I move for Gllug to be disbanded if we can't sort out the constant
> bickering that Gllug has descended into for last couple of YEARS!

Why force everyone else to leave? You can personally disband
your membership with the "unsubscribe" option.

> Its not just this thread but every single one.

Self-evident nonsense.

> If someone invites us to a Perl meet we argue if its on topic or not,

Not true. London Perl Mongers have posted here for years. The only
recent problem I can think of was when an update to a meeting was
sent that did not mention which meeting it was updating.

> same with Linux Jobs same.

Many jobs have posted without any negative comment, most recently
Positive Internet. It's only when they ignore the list rules that
problems happen, and recently that was all down to one individual.

> If you try to discuss something that is on
> topic and can't be argued against you get  met by cold hard silence.

See above for recent examples that prove this to be not true.

The recent example of screen readers was ignored because the original
email just mentioned "Orca" and "Julian" without saying what they
those programs were or what problems they had with them. I sent an
private email asking for clarification and was ignored. Later I sent
an email suggesting the Orca mailing list as a better place to ask,
but this suggestion was never acted on.

Lastly if a thread is boring or annoying you then you can get Gmail
to ignore that thread:
  http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=47787
  http://www.watchingthenet.com/gmail-tip-automatically-archive-email-message-threads-with-mute.html