[Gllug] Camcorders

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Dec 7 10:17:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 7, 2009 at 4:35 AM, Lucian @ lastdot.org <lucian at lastdot.org> wrote:

> I'd like a cam that would work decently inside & outside and doesn't
> require any crapware installed on my PC.
> Could you do any "linux friendly" (my PC runs Centos only)
> recommendations that would fit a 200-300 quid budget?

I'm not aware of any that are truly Linux friendly. They all seem to
record in encumbered formats. This isn't entirely surprising, but it
does mean that to play back on CentOS, you'll need to install something
like mplayer or find a gstreamer plugin to handle the appropriate audio
and video codecs.

I've been reasonably happy with my Panasonic SDR-S26. Quality isn't
bad. It struggles a bit with bright reds being overexposed, and some
jagged edges show up as compression artifacts, but overall it's pretty
decent for the price. It writes MPEG video at 704x576 to a standard SD
card and is only about 150 quid or so at the moment.

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk