[Gllug] Wiping free space.

Rich Walker rw at shadowrobot.com
Tue Dec 29 14:41:02 UTC 2009

On 29/12/2009 10:30, JLMS wrote:

> If you do something like that in your / filesystem, then yes, you will
> see all kind of weird behaviour.
>
> If you do that anywhere else, most likely it would only affect
> applications writing there, so just stop any applications using that
> filesystem prior to do what you suggest.

We have regular fun from /var filling up. Typical symptom is that you
can't log-in from kdm/gdm - it accepts the password, but fails to start
your desktop...

As a result, now /var/tmp is usually tmpfs, and /var/log in a separate
partition.

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadowrobot.com
managing director      251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
need a Hand?           London  N1 1LX       | +44 20 7700 2487
http://www.shadowrobot.com/hand/              @shadowrobot
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk