[Gllug] Home sweet home

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Dec 28 16:28:16 UTC 2009

On Mon, 28 Dec 2009 14:39:46 +0000 (GMT) Chris Bell
<chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org> wrote:

>    The problem you need to get round is that your personal settings
> for the new system will be in your new /home, which will probably not
> match those for your old /home, although your general files and data
> from the old /home can be shared. You could automount your old /home
> partition as something like /old_home (is it /etc/fstab for SuSE?)
> and then create one or more symlinks to the relevant personal files
> using

Thanks, Chris. This makes eminent sense. And SuSE does indeed
use /etc/fstab. I thought that this file might turn out to be my friend
here.

In fact, it occurs to me that the best thing to do would be to move
everything (including hidden files, which might contain useful
information) over to the new /home directories. This will be a pain at
first when I'm actually doing it, but will then mean that I  don't have
various things in different places, so will make things easier in the
long run.

Two questions follow on from this, one essential, the other merely
useful:

First, how do I determine what partitions I have. In particular, I'd
like to make sure I'm mounting the correct partition. There must be
commands to list partitions and partition contents, but I've never come
across them. I can't possibly see how a professional sysadmin could
work without these.

Secondly, since I'll end up with a spare partition, is there anything
useful I could keep there in the long run, once the data has been
moved? Anything that the collective experience of the list suggests
would be useful to keep separate as well as /home?

--
 All the best,
 John
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk