[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Sat Feb 14 13:23:39 UTC 2009

On 13 Feb 2009, James Laver stated:
> I'm not buying what you're saying. Tet needs to quit whining about perl
> being a crap language and instead needs to start whining about the
> inability of people to learn to write decent code.

I don't think that's it. I'm a structure fanatic: my biggest problem
with writing C code is adding too *much* abstraction, not too little
(sometimes way too much: start out writing a password repository, end up
with an abstract sequence type with a pluggable backend including a SQL
interpreter). But in Perl, I find that without constant effort focused
solely on functional decomposition, the whole problem sags into a gooey
mess of giant do-everything functions, *even though I hate that sort of
code*. I've never known this happen in any other language but
function-free ancient BASIC dialects.

Perhaps Moose would help: I last did a lot of Perl before Moose existed
(or at least before I'd heard of it).

If Python had a CPAN, I don't think I'd ever touch Perl again for my own
projects.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk