[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

James Laver james at jameslaver.com
Sat Feb 14 16:52:45 UTC 2009

On Sat, February 14, 2009 1:23 pm, Nix wrote:

> I don't think that's it. I'm a structure fanatic: my biggest problem
> with writing C code is adding too *much* abstraction, not too little
> (sometimes way too much: start out writing a password repository, end up
> with an abstract sequence type with a pluggable backend including a SQL
> interpreter). But in Perl, I find that without constant effort focused
> solely on functional decomposition, the whole problem sags into a gooey
> mess of giant do-everything functions, *even though I hate that sort of
> code*. I've never known this happen in any other language but
> function-free ancient BASIC dialects.

Again, the 'because you can, you might find yourself doing it' reflex is
one way to build software, but I wouldn't recommend bodging it quickly
unless it really is throwaway (have you considered a oneliner? ;) ).

> Perhaps Moose would help: I last did a lot of Perl before Moose existed
> (or at least before I'd heard of it).

Moose rocks. The next perlmongers tech meet is on Moose. It's a technology
that might even persuade all those obnoxious ruby wan^Wfanboys to play
with it.

> If Python had a CPAN, I don't think I'd ever touch Perl again for my own
> projects.

There's PyPi, but it's got just over 5000 packages whereas cpan has over
17000. Might have what you need. I know what the good corners of CPAN are,
I have no idea what's good in PyPi (if anything).

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk