[Gllug] RSI: Was VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Tim Porter tim at timporter.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 13:16:58 UTC 2009

An interesting article and a reminder to always follow good scientific
method. Most of it seems concerned with typing speeds, I no longer need
to type out great chunks of prose since I finished uni and I'm happy
with my current speed. Admittedly I only skimmed over the article as
it's quite long but it only seems to have about one paragraph concerning
ergonomics, I'm not going to dispute the speed one way or the other
apart from saying that any differences probably wont amount to much.

It had crossed my mind that being forced to retrain at typing on a new
layout might in itself be what makes the layout seem better if this time
round you learn to type properly and change your style in the process.
ie, if your a bad typer then any random rearrangement might help you
break old habits.

Nonetheless, I'm going to stick with Dvorak for now and try to form my
own opinion. I'll report back when I've come to some final conclusions.

Tim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk