[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Thu Feb 12 11:16:51 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> This is why I think it really sucks to set up companies outside London
> and people should really be told so. There was a company at the end of
> last year that actually relocated to London because they simply couldn't
> get the talent they needed outside (albeit this was a small company and
> therefore easier to do).

Oh, I don't know.

For the past seven months I've been working for an award winning
managed dedicated hosting company based in Guildford which hosts quite
a few big name clients.  The company has been going since 2000 and is
based at the Surrey Research Park (and still is).  I commute each day
by electric pushbike paid for by the company.  It takes me 40 minutes
to get in, 40 minutes out door to door.  Compare that to commuting to
London each day which took nearly 2 hours each way from Woking - door
to door.

There are many other companies thriving out here in the 'sticks' too.

Regards,

Martyn
--
Martyn Drake