[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 12 11:07:17 UTC 2009

Dan Kolb wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 09:58:47AM +0000, James Hawtin wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 02:29:07PM +0000, jt at camalyn.org wrote:
>>
>>> hi,
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, I have not received an awful amount of interest to this
>>> vacancy.
>>>

>> It does occur to me that could be because this is the Greater London linux
>> user group list and this job vacancy is in Reading! If you offered jobs in
>> London I expect you might get a better response.
>>

> It could be. But there are Glluggers who live outside London to whom it might
> be more relevant. Conversely, commuting in the opposite direction to everyone
> else isn't unpleasant. You get nice empty trains or roads.
>
> Dan

Commuting against the traffic can be nice... unless you are happen to be
on one spoke and your job on the other spoke of the "hub and spoke"
architecture of the public transport system... then you get the pleasant
experience of twice the journey.

If you had such an arrangement, then it makes more sense to simply stop
in the centre and work their, half the journey, more money etc... which
is why most of us don't generally considering going out again unless the
job is really great.

This is why I think it really sucks to set up companies outside London
and people should really be told so. There was a company at the end of
last year that actually relocated to London because they simply couldn't
get the talent they needed outside (albeit this was a small company and
therefore easier to do).

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk