[Gllug] Purchasing music online

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Feb 2 10:00:54 UTC 2009

On 2 Feb 2009, at 07:35, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-02-02 at 00:02 +0000, Tethys wrote:
>>
>> Jose Luis Martinez writes:
[...]
>> By doing so, I have my music in a DRM free,
> ...unless it's a Sony / BMG release (about one CD in three)

Oh yeah, I had a three disc set from there. I was about half way
through ripping the third disc when I idly read the back of the box
and noticed that it was apparently protected by DRM. Well, that was
effective.

Ironically, most of the music on the CDs was out of copyright anyway.

>> lossless format,
> ...not according to us "analogue-heads" (analogue is "infinitely
> sampled") - there is NO digital format that comes close in overall
> fidelity to a properly aligned analogue recording and playback chain.

I'm not arguing that analogue - by which I assume you mean vinyl
rather than tape - sounds different to CD, but that merely means it
sounds different. Both are an approximation to the original waveform,
and CD really does represent it better. But if you prefer the warm,
slightly distorted sound from your old LPs, go for it.

>> that I can easily convert to Ogg Vorbis / MP3 / whatever at a later
>> point, and it's on a handy plastic disc that acts as a backup should
>> anything happen to my hard drives.
> That's the only advantage I can see!  However, the space taken up by
> the
> thousands of CDs in my home could be better used for other things.

If you're that bothered, throw the case away. I've got a 600 disc
holder and it doesn't take all that much space. A dozen or so of those
might start to get unwieldy, but it's not as if you need to store them
in the living room.

As it happens, I have about five times as many books as CDs. When it
comes to media storage, CDs are the least of my worries...

[...]
>> The only downside is the lack of instant gratification, but to be
>> honest,
>> if you really can't wait a couple of days to hear the new album by
>> a band
>> you like, then you have problems.
> The downside, with most current recordings, is that if you wait for
> that
> "cooling-off" period, the music will certainly not be as appealing!

... then it was probably not worth buying at all, CD or download.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk