[Gllug] Tape backups

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Sun Feb 15 13:28:34 UTC 2009

2009/2/15 Adrian McMenamin <adrian at newgolddream.dyndns.info>:
> Given that my tape (DDS4) takes four hours plus to bzip2, tar and write
> to tape 16GB of data, I am wondering what, if any, the advantages of
> backing up to tape, as opposed to (now very cheap) disk might be?

Perhaps the advantage might be greater if one uses backup devices from
the current millenium.

Disk and tape are not comparable. Nor is anything that breaks when
dropped once. With tape the questions you should be asking are about
how many years the data is readable / the magnetic coating lasts /
etc. Of course, using low-capacity unreliable slow DAT tapes makes me
think you need your head examined, but the question as stated doesn't
really apply.

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk