[Gllug] Tape backups

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Feb 15 13:43:15 UTC 2009

If you put aside the sarcastic, unhelpful replies Adrian, you ask a
very good question.

I've put in a few systems which have mirrored data to RAID setups
using Dirvish, which I would recommend as being easy to install and
understand.
http://www.dirvish.org/

Recently I have been looking at long term data storage, and have
thought as you have about keeping data on disk.
Products called virtual tape libraries are now available - which
present themselves to your backup or HSM setup as a tape library.
http://www.spectralogic.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.displayProductSummaries&catID=587&p=532
There is also the very smart concept of disk media being packaged like
removable tapes - you you can slot a disk pack into the library, and
archive it off to a separate location when it is filled up.
http://www.spectralogic.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=products.showContentAndChildren&CatID=1421&p=1411

As with tapes, it would be wise to keep two copies in separate locations.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk