[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Feb 16 19:57:04 UTC 2009

On 14 Feb 2009, James Laver told this:

> On Sat, February 14, 2009 1:23 pm, Nix wrote:
>>
>> I don't think that's it. I'm a structure fanatic: my biggest problem
>> with writing C code is adding too *much* abstraction, not too little
>> (sometimes way too much: start out writing a password repository, end up
>> with an abstract sequence type with a pluggable backend including a SQL
>> interpreter). But in Perl, I find that without constant effort focused
>> solely on functional decomposition, the whole problem sags into a gooey
>> mess of giant do-everything functions, *even though I hate that sort of
>> code*. I've never known this happen in any other language but
>> function-free ancient BASIC dialects.
>
> Again, the 'because you can, you might find yourself doing it' reflex is
> one way to build software, but I wouldn't recommend bodging it quickly
> unless it really is throwaway (have you considered a oneliner? ;) ).

That's the thing, these weren't things I bodged quickly. They're things I
spent as much effort trying to keep coherent as I normally do with C code:
but the effort failed. (This may just be an artifact of greater familiarity
with C than with Perl: but I learnt Python long after I learnt Perl, and
never had that problem with it, even when I was a complete newbie.)

>> Perhaps Moose would help: I last did a lot of Perl before Moose existed
>> (or at least before I'd heard of it).
>
> Moose rocks. The next perlmongers tech meet is on Moose. It's a technology
> that might even persuade all those obnoxious ruby wan^Wfanboys to play
> with it.

Moose, of course, is just a *real* language's OO system ported to Perl ;)

>> If Python had a CPAN, I don't think I'd ever touch Perl again for my own
>> projects.
>
> There's PyPi, but it's got just over 5000 packages whereas cpan has over
> 17000. Might have what you need. I know what the good corners of CPAN are,
> I have no idea what's good in PyPi (if anything).

PyPi is pretty useful but not quite up to CPAN standards (yet).

Is there anything like CPAN.pm for PyPi, or not? It's not essential but
it's damn useful.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk