[Gllug] research studentships

Sean Tohill S.Tohill at westminster.ac.uk
Fri Feb 20 17:20:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009, Peter Corlett wrote:

> On 20 Feb 2009, at 16:45, Sean Tohill wrote:
>> just in case any of you were wondering about PhD opportunities in
>> London
>> http://www.westminster.ac.uk/page-17525
>> 15,000 per year for 3 years for those who are just interested in the
>> financial part and don't want to follow the link.
>

> That's for "up to 6 hours per week". Westminster University teaches
> for 24 weeks a year. It works out at about £100/hour. Nice work if you
> can get it :)

i think you misunderstand that bit. you do those hours for free as part of
the deal. your supervisor will want you to do some tutorials for them.

the research part will be carried out probably using a standard 40 hour
per week, 6 weeks holiday per year scheme, or similar.

> (Of course, the money is really just a glorified student grant rather
> than a salary, so it's completely irrelevant to the eternal thread
> we've had recently.)

hence me not adding to that thread, but relevant for those who might
wonder what the financial incentives are for those wishing to persue a
doctorate and an academic or research career.

regards

sean

> --

The University of Westminster is a charity and a company limited by
guarantee.  Registration number: 977818 England.  Registered Office:
309 Regent Street, London W1B 2UW, UK.