[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Balbir Thomas balbir.thomas at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 17:17:36 UTC 2009

David, Jose,

You both make very many good points.

I myself did not notice the original post but got involved after James Hearn's,
response to my (what was ment to be a casual) comment.

My suggestion that Job Postings here be moderated as per some agreed
upon guidelines, was just that, a possible resolution to deal with these
two issues

1) Long threads such as this one that can leave a lot of people irritated and
recruiters uneasy. A clearer understanding (perhaps by inviting comment
from all concerned) between all parties can only be conducive to a much
more pleasent experience for all.

2) An expression of our communities <emphasis> balanced
and tempered </emphasis> assessment of appropriate remunerations.
And yes the older and much more experienced members will certainly
have (and should have) more to say in this regard. There may be
job adverts for experienced Linux Admin for 10K out there. But wouldn't
it irk people here ? I exaggerate a bit to make the point.

Jose, with due respect, I beg to differ on weather we do have any control
over the job market or not. This history of industry, is a testament to
the establishment of innumerable regulatory bodies that have overseen
its functioning (and do so even more today). It is this regulation that
has kept industry stable and thriving. It is precisely when such regulation
has failed (such as in this bankers crisis) that all hell breaks loose. The
concept of a "minimum wage" is another testament to the fact that
in democratic society people do have control over their earnings.
Laissez-faire economics of totally unregulated markets is not
the norm in the world (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lassiez_faire). Also
Luddites (you cite) are probably a bad example, as they stood in opposition to
the newer more technological society that was in the interest of
the vast majority. That can hardly be said of resisting bearish wages.

Lastly it is not true IN IT that the jobs exported over sea's are exploitative
of people there. At 1000 G.B.P a month in India or China (a very common
salary in the former for an intermediate programmer), one can buy a
3 bedroom house in 5-10 years, maintain a car and live comfortably .  As I
myself pointed out if IT salaries here continue dipping, labor choices
will lead to the erosion of skills and talent here. That more than anything
else is against the interest of the IT (in general and concequently Linux)
community here. I would not  think of this, as idealism but prefer to believe
it is foresight, and hope we can be more proactive. Further lower salaries
also mean lower spending and continued recession, just as much
as recession means lower salaries. Doesn't it ??

I trust you and others on this list are more qualified to make an informed
decision as far as this list is concerned so will refrain from further comment
on it.

warm  regards
bt
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk