[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:58:28 UTC 2009

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Henry Gilbert wrote:

> If a site navigates well on a text-browser such as Lynx chances are
> that it will work fine with Braille outputs. I've come across Firefox
> extensions that convert text-to-speech in the past.
>
> Making a site accessible may bring benefits, attract loyal customers
> (appreciative as they can navigate through keys instead of the mouse -
> ie RSI), or with poorer eyesight - but can still increase font sizes a
> number of times. Some people browse the internet with JS switched off
> - in fear of worms and exploits. All these are still 'potential'
> clients. And may become more inclined to purchase your product or
> services because of that increase in user-friendliness. Accessible
> markup seems to improve search engine results.

I used these same arguments in my many meetings at the BBC, I was the
root at bbc and an avid lynx user, supporting the infrastructure that
served the pages the luvvies uploaded.  Their main aim was to make it
look exactly like the .ppt they'd designed.

I'm afraid when we looked at the stats at the BBC, we found we're
talking about <1% of the population and it was not worth bothering with.

Fortunately laws about accessability helped, but nothing like the
difference mobile browsing caused.  That is a massive audience, and
mobile versions of sites work very well in lynx, w3m, links etc.

Of course they still chose to do dual versions rather than just a better
design from the outset!  What was wrong with 1990's webpages ?

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk