[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 16:58:58 UTC 2009

On Mon, 9 Feb 2009, Lesley Binks wrote:

[snipped]

> I am lacking in knowledge of this area but I feel that a braille or
> aural captcha is a form that could be interpreted by a bot as it would
> reduce to some kind of look up to identify the sound or braille code.
> Therefore it couldn't be a captcha anymore.  I suspect the captcha has
> to remain a purely visual element.

Google use an audio link as an alternative to the visual captcha, google
have a lot of users, so this is a reasonable common thing.

Unfortunately you're right to an extent though, it has been known to be
cracked by bots with reasonable success, I don't know what the current
status is, or whether they improved the audio noise around the numbers
you had to listen for.

> One class of sites that springs to mind is the Flash based site such as
> those that can be discovered in the music industry.  I assume these will
> provide a text-based alternative for blind fans.

The later flash versions are actually supposed to be very accessable,
Macromedia (now Adobe), seemed to be on the ball in this regard.  It
probably requires the flash designed to actually bother to use the
accessability abilities of the later flash engines though.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk