[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

James Laver james at jameslaver.com
Fri Feb 13 10:47:41 UTC 2009

On Fri, February 13, 2009 10:20 am, Jose Luis Martinez wrote:

> What would be wrong with relocating to Reading? There are parts in
> London sufficiently far away as to make some sense to consider
> relocation (which I mentioned first in my previous email).
>
> I think that as long as people posting jobs abide by the rules the
> geographical location should not be a factor to accept a posting or
> not.

Have you ever been to reading?

Apparently not.

The overhead of moving outside of london is a LOT of effort, not to
mention tying up loose ends. I'm established in london, I have a life here
and I'm not about to leave that behind for 55k to work somewhere that I'm
not even tempted to work.

Contracts are a different ball game, I don't mind commuting a bit longer
for a contract (for up to 6 months) if the money's right. End of the day
it won't look bad on my CV if I leave before a year is up. Not to mention
the fact that this conveniently sidesteps the need to move, thus the need
to move elsewhere when you realise you hate your job, you hate the place
you've moved to and you hate yourself for having persuaded yourself to
move to take a job that really wasn't worth it.

My current client is in the process of moving its london office to
Walsall. Needless to say not a single person volunteered for relocation.

If it's not in london then I'm billing more and I'm certainly not taking a
permie job in the sticks.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk