[Gllug] Choosing broadband

Dylan dylan at dylan.me.uk
Fri Feb 13 11:02:00 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I've recently moved into a flat which has (surprisingly) no wire to the
property at all (well, the BT wire is cut off at the suspension cable and
there's no Cable installed.)

So I'm taking the opportunity to see what connections are available which
might side-step BT ... Samknows tells me that these outfits have LLU
installed at my exchange (Deptford): AOL, O2/Be, C&W/Bulldog, Orange, Pipex,
Sky/Easynet, TalkTalk, Tiscali, Urban Wimax.

AOL is out on principle, and you won't be surprised that Tiscali and Pipex are
severely dispreferred, but what experience (if any) do you have with the
others (service quality, blocked ports/content, customer-service numptiness
etc)? I'm not interested in phonecalls or TV, just an internet connection.

Cheers
Dylan
--
“ ‘... but there is so much else behind what I say. It makes itself known to
me so slowly, so incompletely! ...’ ”
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk