[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Thu Feb 19 12:54:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, February 19, 2009 12:31 pm, tid wrote:
> 2009/2/19 James Laver <gllug at jameslaver.com>:
>
>> Or the usual wheeze of "Developer with strong skills in systems
>> administration and project management expertise. A minimum of 5 years
>> experience, a positive attitude and flexibility in terms of working
>> hours
>> are required." for 25k.
>
> You've just described my last interview. The HR woman actually said
> "We're looking for a CTO-level candidate, who is prepared to get their
> hands dirty, technically."
>
> Sigh.

It's much the same with the permanent perl market. Companies complain they
can't find staff and Perlfolk complain that the jobs don't pay well
enough. If companies will offer tuppence a week and demand a CTO, they
aren't going to be very satisfied. In fact, I refuse to work for a company
like that -- I've developed a zero tolerance attitude for that sort of
bullshit. I've had a spate of crap jobs recently and the next person to
make my job frustrating will be first up against the wall when I flip and
start exfenestrating people from the fifth floor^W6W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^W^Wcome
the glorious revolution.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk