[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:42:10 UTC 2009

2009/2/19 Balbir Thomas <balbir.thomas at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 7:56 AM, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Why be depressed?
>
> After you consider the effort it took to develop those skills (which include
> more than a "passing familiarity" with a say C/C++) as opposed to just
> skills in C/C++ alone ....

Balbir, please (nicely) have a look at academic job scales. People who
work as researchers in university groups - ie the mainstays of our
national academic research - get paid buttons and have temporary
contracts.
I've no idea of current rates, but I would imagine someone in their
mid-twenties would be GLAD to be offered 28K by an engineering/design
company.

>> Also you should consider that a Masters degree, or a PhD for that
>> matter, is not an automatic passort to a high salary.
>
> Education must be worth something. If it isn't perhaps a reconsideration
> of the nature of education itself is due ..

Having a PhD myself, I started working life in the NHS - on not a very
good salary.
You simply cannot expect to slap Doctor in front of your name and
command 50K salaries.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk