[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Balbir Thomas balbir.thomas at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 13:53:53 UTC 2009

Apologies my palm rested on the synaptic touch pad and accidently
clicked submit. I
meant to reply to peters post.

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:34 AM, Peter Corlett <abuse at cabal.org.uk> wrote:
> My attitude to salaries is to ask myself why I should spend ten years
> and endless unpaid evenings gaining mastery in IT skills when I can
> get much the same sort of money driving Tube trains with just five
> months on-the-job training?

Peter, I think there is a fallacy in here. Over their ENTIRE career the net
earnings of a skilled professional is not the same as that of a semi-skilled
professional. Something like the difference in time complexity and
execution time :-). Also for the so motivated, the challenge and joy of
technically oriented jobs is an additional benefit. For some that may
be the primary motivator for other it may be secondary to more material
conditions. For me personally it used to be the primary motivator earlier
in life but as I have grown older and ..... :-)

> There has been research into this, although I don't have a cite to
> hand. Assuming you've not gone to the University of Bums-on-Seats and
> got a third-class degree in Tealeaf Reading, a degree will increase
> your lifetime earning potential, but a PhD will reduce it again.

I dare say this is another urban myth. Though I will be interested in that
data (if it is in a peer reviewed journal).

regard
bt
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk