[Gllug] Tape backups

Tethys sta296 at astradyne.co.uk
Tue Feb 17 23:37:41 UTC 2009

--------

"Martin A. Brooks" writes:

>"I have a backup" is usually a (for the most part entirely innocent)
>lie; the person means "I have a copy of my stuff".

Yet that's a reasonable definition of a backup. You seem to be the only
one making some arbitrary distinction between that and what you consider
to be a "real" backup. The purpose of a backup is to allow data recovery
in the event of some failure (be it hardware, software, user error or
something else entirely). A copy would appear to do that depending
on where the copy is kept, of course. It only allows recovery from a
single point in time, and if that's too old, then that's a problem with
policy. But it's still a backup.

Ahhh, disagreeing with Martin again. Life is returning to normal. We've
been agreeing far too much of late :-)

Tet
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk