[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Balbir Thomas balbir.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:49:47 UTC 2009

John G Walker wrote :
> But I'm not sure where such comparisons gets us. Most programmers
> manage quite well without knowing this

I think you are right about this but only because most people learn this way of
thinking (systems , sub-systems etc) as part of their general education in
modern society. It comes very naturally. We we think of machinery  or any
other gadget as being made of components and sub-components and understand
their "whole" in terms of the interaction of components and the
abstract properties
of those components.

I believe large scale design even in purely functional programming frameworks
(if there is such a thing) will assimilate these principles. Weather we call
it object oriented programming or not, is irrelevant.

All I am saying is that it is the only time tested (almost a century or probably
more) way of managing and dealing with engineering complexity. Are there
any other ?

regards
balbir thomas
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk