[Gllug] RSI: Was VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Wed Feb 25 22:35:57 UTC 2009

On 23 Feb 2009, Lesley Binks said:
> I'd take RSI seriously if I were you -

Seconded. Really severe RSI can impair not only computing but things
like holding ordinary objects, raising your hands above shoulder
level...

>                                        the general advice is to give up
> computing

That's what I was told I'd have to do, but I decided that lifelong
unemployment, penury, homelessness and possible institutionalization
were not for me, and simply eliminated flat QWERTY keyboards from my
life (home, work, everywhere, I never touch them). Three years later,
every symptom has vanished except for a tendency for my hands to get
cold easily, and even that is slowly improving.

This does mean no laptops or netbooks (although I might be able to get
away with a little netbook use, not more than a few minutes a day).

> I ended up taking four weeks off work while my GP experimented on me
> with various painkillers,

I'm not sure that would help. --- or, rather, it would reduce the pain
but it might also encourage you to use your battered hands even *more*,
making the problem worse.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk