[Gllug] RSI: Was VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Lesley Binks lesleyb at pgcroft.net
Mon Feb 23 10:07:47 UTC 2009

On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 09:07:55AM +0000, j.roberts wrote:
> But seriously:
>
> I got RSI in my right wrist due to excessive mousing I suspect. So I
> shifted to L/H mousing (fortunately I am nearly ambi) some years ago.
>
> Now, alas *sigh* I am getting LH RSI symptoms.
>
> And yes, I use a Natural keyboard which is definitely an improvement.
> And yes I mostly admin from consoles - but I do a lot of other, GUI,
> things too.
>
> My question is -
>
> has anyone tried one of those sideways-style mice that enable the wrist
> to be used unrotated?
>
> I mean like these:
>
> http://www.posturite.co.uk/PosturiteSite/pages/product/product.asp?prod=1401102&cookie_test=1
>
> or
>
> http://www.hela.co.uk/helashop/customer/product.php?productid=36&cat=0&page=
>
> or even
>
> http://www.zalman.co.kr/Eng/product/Product_Read.asp?Idx=284
>
> :)
>
> If so wondered how you got on with it?
>
> MeJ
>

> Nix wrote:
>
> >> The one time I did get twinges in my wrists was when I switched to
> >> using HP graphics workstations, and hence HP keyboards. I bought a gel
> >> filled wrist rest, which lived in the fridge overnight. That did the
> >> trick.
> >
> > \standard[rant]{decent-ergonomic-keyboard}

A: Because it destroys the thread of the conversation
Q: Why should I not top-post?

I've had both RSI and whiplash injuries.  I use a mouse lefthanded but mostly
prefer keyboard shortcuts where graphical interfaces are a must - other
than that it's the CLI for me.  I also bought a decent chair with all
the twiddles I could possibly want on it.  And I had physio.

I picked up exercises from physio which help relieve problems even some
15 years after the whiplash incident and some 23 years after I first got RSI,
the chair is worth it's weight in gold and I use an ordinary mouse.

I'd take RSI seriously if I were you - the general advice is to give up
computing but I got mine from banging out newsletters on my grandad's
old Olympia portable typewriter while doing boring clerical work for the
GPO.  The GPO had a machine one had to write certain bills out on and
it was never at a comfortable level.

I ended up taking four weeks off work while my GP experimented on me
with various painkillers, fortunately(?) he was interested in these problems,
and my right arm was wrapped up in a sling and out of use for three weeks.
I think that rest phase helped and I suspect people who have RSI don't rest the
injury enough.

As far as those mice are concerned I can't see a lot of benefit in the
Zalman - possibly more in the vertical mice but they are fixed to a
particular orientation.

Regards

L.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk