[Gllug] RSI: Was VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Tim Porter tim at timporter.co.uk
Sat Feb 28 01:53:59 UTC 2009

Yeah the shape of the whole keyboard is something that I think would
make a difference, unfortunately at least on my laptop, that's a bit
tricky.

Yes, Dvorak typing speeds are contentious. The way I look at it is that
QWERTY was designed to be awkward so any alternative layout that's had a
bit of thought put into it should be better unless they did a
particularly bad job.

I can honestly say that from my short experience that Dvorak is more
comfortable and prior to switching over I had been thinking "I don't
really think the position of the keys is whats making QWERTY
uncomfortable here". Infact, I hadn't really considered it that
uncomfortable inn the first place. "Damn this QWERTY" had never crossed
my mind.

At the end of the day, its less distance to move your fingers around,
the middle row on my keyboard reads "AOEUIDHTNS" and I'm informed there
are about 50k words that can be written with just that. I can't say I've
noticed an imbalance in the number of presses from each hand, sure all
the vowels are on the left but this in itself doesn't seem to skew it.

The Maltron is something I will do some further research on. Thanks for
the tip :)

To anyone reading this who doesn't take the whole typing style/posture
thing too seriously, please, have a think about what you're doing.

Tim.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk