[Gllug] wireless settings

Alistair Mann gllug at lgeezer.net
Fri Feb 27 20:24:39 UTC 2009

Lucy Peters wrote:
> I was able to configure the wireless router dl-624 to work with the
> windows xp on both wored and wireless. But when I switched to ubuntu
> 8.10, I typed in my password to access the default keyring for the
> Networkmanager Applet /usr/bin/nm-applet and the wpa personal but
> couldn't log on to the wireless connection.
>
> Do you know how to connect to the wireless connection ?

Does the XP still work wirelessly? If so, download and run this:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/wireless_key.html (you may need to turn off
antiviruses) and examine what XP knows what the password is, compare it
to what you, and NetworkManager thinks it is.

Has your ubuntu ever worked with wireless? My next step would be to try
using it at a friends, public library, cybercafe etc.

If your 8.10 does work wirelessly elsewhere, try turning off encryption
on your router. Can you connect? If so, repeat with WEP 64bit Hex, then
WEP 128 bit Hex, then WPA. Consider using whichever security system
works, for now.

If you cannot connect to your own router wirelessly, but can connect to
other routers, discover if your router needs a firmware upgrade.

If you can't connect to any routers, see if your laptop has a radio
killswitch (desktop's don't). Many have them on the side, some have them
as seperate buttons under the screen, older Dells use FN-F4 (I think...)

Beyond here be dragons!
--
Alistair
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk