[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Tue Feb 10 18:24:04 UTC 2009

Henry Gilbert wrote:

> I have a Python book: "Dive into Python". And still couldn't get my
> head round it. Very frustrating.
> I was eager to learn Python so I could write scripts for Inkscape. But
> since you can do that with Perl also. I will give Perl chance now.
> Is Python really that difficult or just difficult to learn and teach?
> It felt like trying to learn Smalltalk.
> HG

Funny you should ask that...

After chairing the GLLUG meeting the other weekend I received an offer
to run (practical) sessions on Python and have been following up on this
generous request.

We have thoughts:
a) for raw beginners, eg Python 101
b) next steps, eg Python interface to MySQL/PostGres, Wx Widgets...
c) particular concepts

However we wonder if:
- "beginner" should be taken to mean 'someone who already programs in x
or y or z language(s)')
- list of other 'next steps'
- what other concepts are?
- scripting to extend/automate Inkscape and others (The Gimp...?)
- whether anyone really does get more than one inch through such tomes?

Details are very loose and open to advice. The speaker may be prepared
to spread sessions over time, or take basically a whole Saturday in one
rush. He is happy to choose and amend material to suit the expected
audience/organisations' objectives... and seeks advice to tailor the
content and approach appropriately, even to share the role.

After the aforementioned meeting I also spoke to a number of current
students and recent grads from the Uni of Westminster, who expressed
interest in such topics, and thus might form the core of (GLLUG's)
'interested parties' but things are starting to get a bit 'off to one
side' from our usual beat! ("Linux" anyone?) Accordingly I have an
initial response from the London Python group agreeing that there's
scope for some cooperation...

We will be keen to hear from 'interested parties'!
Regards,
=dn
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk