[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

John Edwards john at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Tue Feb 10 18:46:02 UTC 2009

On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 05:33:52PM +0000, Henry Gilbert wrote:
> 2009/2/10  <damion.yates at gmail.com>:
>> I liked Learning Perl, so I as I have to do Python these days, bought a
>> copy of Learning Python.  I got bored about 1inch / 1000 pages in, after
>> it still hadn't started to teach me about python and was STILL going on
>> and on about how great python is and how it's better than perl (it
>> ACTUALLY says that!).
>
> I have a Python book: "Dive into Python". And still couldn't get my
> head round it. Very frustrating.
>
> I was eager to learn Python so I could write scripts for Inkscape. But
> since you can do that with Perl also. I will give Perl chance now.
>
> Is Python really that difficult or just difficult to learn and teach?
> It felt like trying to learn Smalltalk.

"Learning Python" is more of a reference manual like "Programming
Perl". It'll take you through chapters on strings, arrays, tuples
without actually showing you how to build a working program.

I suppose I was lucky that I learnt Python changing other people's
code rather than starting off with a blank sheet. I had also been
using Perl and Bash for a long time.

I tend to use the online docs a lot:
	http://www.python.org/doc/
	http://www.python.org/doc/versions/

There is a official tutorial and several beginners guides, but
I'm what they are like for a new programmer.

The main difference I found between Python and Perl is that the syntax
is cleaner and it's much easier to do Object-orientated programming in
Python compared to Perl 5 (pre-Moose).