[Gllug] ads-free web hosting

Jason Clifford jason at ukfsn.org
Fri Feb 6 13:33:01 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 13:10 +0000, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
> That's the problem really - we all have our own experience but that
> will by nature differ from everyone else's. For my own part I use
> Debian on all my servers and my own desktop/laptops. But I do host
> some sites with hosting companies that run CentOS and *my* experience
> of website hosting companies (as opposed to those who rent you a
> dediciated host or virtual server space) is that they seem to prefer
> CentOS - particularly if they are using Cpanel/WHM or similar.

Cpanel actually requires a RH based distro and Debian is not a supported
platform so even those ISPs that might prefer to offer a Debian based
environment cannot do so for customers wanting a specific CP that
doesn't support a Debian environment.

> Tet has a point in that it depends upon the area the sysadmins are
> working in. Much of our idea of numbers will be weighted by the fact
> that we are possibly more likely to be in touch with like-minded
> people who use the same distro's as us. That is we'll hang around on
> distro-specific lists and forums and will gravitate towards support
> hubs that focus on the ones we ourselves use. So Martin and I (to name
> two) will tend to have a greater percentage of Debian users in our
> circles of acquaintance than say Tet does.

I, on the other hand, tend to be fairly agnostic in respect of distros.
That said I do prefer Debian for my own platform but have considered
using Centos for another project as I wanted the convenience of a CP
someone else is responsible for.

Jason

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk