[Gllug] ads-free web hosting

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 6 13:48:44 UTC 2009

Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 13:10 +0000, Ryan Cartwright wrote:
>
>> That's the problem really - we all have our own experience but that
>> will by nature differ from everyone else's. For my own part I use
>> Debian on all my servers and my own desktop/laptops. But I do host
>> some sites with hosting companies that run CentOS and *my* experience
>> of website hosting companies (as opposed to those who rent you a
>> dediciated host or virtual server space) is that they seem to prefer
>> CentOS - particularly if they are using Cpanel/WHM or similar.
>>

> Cpanel actually requires a RH based distro and Debian is not a supported
> platform so even those ISPs that might prefer to offer a Debian based
> environment cannot do so for customers wanting a specific CP that
> doesn't support a Debian environment.
>

>> Tet has a point in that it depends upon the area the sysadmins are
>> working in. Much of our idea of numbers will be weighted by the fact
>> that we are possibly more likely to be in touch with like-minded
>> people who use the same distro's as us. That is we'll hang around on
>> distro-specific lists and forums and will gravitate towards support
>> hubs that focus on the ones we ourselves use. So Martin and I (to name
>> two) will tend to have a greater percentage of Debian users in our
>> circles of acquaintance than say Tet does.
>>

> I, on the other hand, tend to be fairly agnostic in respect of distros.
> That said I do prefer Debian for my own platform but have considered
> using Centos for another project as I wanted the convenience of a CP
> someone else is responsible for.
>
> Jason

I've settle on CentOS. Not because CentOS is superior to Debian, it
doesn't make much difference to me, I've used both and other distros for
years, but because I am simply sick of distros now and want there to be
only 1, just like in Highlander (although I don't suggest that redhat
folks have to cut off the heads of debian folks :-)      ).

Since RHEL is commercially well established and supported by Oracle etc
(include CentOS since it's basically free RHEL), are both are widely
used, I decided it's going to be CentOS. Debian is also widely used but
from what I have surveyed of the job market, Redhat systems are used in
more places, so it makes sense to standardize on this as the one true
linux platform.

We should bin everything else and put all our effort into global
standardization on one supreme linux platform and stop learning 5
different ways to configure the network, do package management etc. I
think the time when we could play around with all this and have
variation for no real point is passing...

Maybe I'm just getting old and too pressed for the time wasting of
distros...

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
Always open to interesting opportunities

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk