[Gllug] VACANCY: Site Reliability Engineering

Martyn Drake martyn at drake.org.uk
Thu Feb 19 15:32:55 UTC 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 3:22 PM, Dan Kolb <gllug at eco.li> wrote:

> So 28K for industry would be quite low. Specially taking London into account.

When I left university and starting working proper, I was getting £8k
for single handedly running a Norwich based ISP and web hosting
company (in which I was sysadmin, programmer, web developer, technical
support, technical manager and security expert rolled into one).  I
then moved to the competitor for £11k, and then was made redundant
when they moved out further into the countryside.

When I got a job in London (around 1998/99), I was paid £21k which
raised to £24k after three months.  Things went well for about a year
until I discovered the German operating company couldn't run a UK ISP
to save it's life and decided to quit.  I then worked for a small web
design company in Kingston for £28k before being made redundant again
and the company relocating to deepest Essex.  Having survived a
wedding and honeymoon unemployed, I took a job at the worst company in
the world called Webcoin which offered me £23k because they knew full
well that I had been out of the loop for a while (I was lucky to have
sufficient savings and redundancy money not to go on the dole for the
4 months I was unemployed).  That job lasted two months until I was
taken on by a film post company in Soho for £25k.  Over the six years
that I was there, it raised to around £31k, but with on-call allowance
it was closer to £40k.

The previous job to the one I'm in now is somewhere in between.  It
roughly balances out because I don't have to commute to London
(therefore saving me £3k in travelling costs - actually more when you
consider I now bike to work).

If I were to work in London again (and this is something my wife is
considering doing because the travel industry around here is appalling
and the money is absolutely crap), I'd settle nothing less than £40k
now.  £45k would be ideal.

Regards,

Martyn
--