[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Lesley Binks lesleyb at pgcroft.net
Mon Feb 9 11:59:27 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 08, 2009 at 08:11:11PM -0000, James Laver wrote:
> On Sun, February 8, 2009 1:15 am, Henry Gilbert wrote:
> > 2009/2/7 Lesley Binks <lesleyb at pgcroft.net>:
> >> You'd get more mileage out of this if you wrote your own contact form
> >> and you could then add a recaptcha.net anti-spam offering.
> >>
> >> You only need two or three text fields, a text area and a submit button
> >> plus the recaptcha.net javascript
>
> The wonderful thing about relying on javascript is that you get people who
> actually give a damn about accessibility on your back. You do want to
> alienate blind people who have to use screen readers, don't you? This is
> aside from the fact that in the UK this is covered under the DDA and
> similar laws in other countries. The RNIB recommend WCAG-AA compliance.
> Don't let this stop you however, I'm sure blind people everywhere wouldn't
> want to put you out and demand you write 8 lines of perl.
>

>From http://www.mcu.org.uk/articles/accessguidelines.html

"From the W3C guidelines:

    Text can be readily output to speech synthesizers and braille
    displays, and can be presented visually (in a variety of sizes) on
    computer displays and paper. Synthesized speech is critical for
    individuals who are blind and for many people with the reading
    difficulties that often accompany cognitive disabilities, learning
    disabilities, and deafness. Braille is essential for individuals who
    are both deaf and blind, as well as many individuals whose only
    sensory disability is blindness. Text displayed visually benefits
    users who are deaf as well as the majority of Web users.
"

While I'm at a loss as to how to provide a braille output of a web page,
let alone ensure that it reproduces either correctly or sufficiently well
in that media and I will admit that I don't use a speech synthesizer to
view the web, the recaptcha offering does have audio output.

L.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk