[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Henry Gilbert henry.gilbert at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 13:20:03 UTC 2009

2009/2/9 Lesley Binks <lesleyb at pgcroft.net>:
> "From the W3C guidelines:
>
>    Text can be readily output to speech synthesizers and braille
>    displays, and can be presented visually (in a variety of sizes) on
>    computer displays and paper. Synthesized speech is critical for
>    individuals who are blind and for many people with the reading
>    difficulties that often accompany cognitive disabilities, learning
>    disabilities, and deafness. Braille is essential for individuals who
>    are both deaf and blind, as well as many individuals whose only
>    sensory disability is blindness. Text displayed visually benefits
>    users who are deaf as well as the majority of Web users.
> "
>
> While I'm at a loss as to how to provide a braille output of a web page,
> let alone ensure that it reproduces either correctly or sufficiently well
> in that media and I will admit that I don't use a speech synthesizer to
> view the web, the recaptcha offering does have audio output.
>
> L.
>
> --

If a site navigates well on a text-browser such as Lynx chances are
that it will work fine with Braille outputs. I've come across Firefox
extensions that convert text-to-speech in the past.

Making a site accessible may bring benefits, attract loyal customers
(appreciative as they can navigate through keys instead of the mouse -
ie RSI), or with poorer eyesight - but can still increase font sizes a
number of times. Some people browse the internet with JS switched off
- in fear of worms and exploits. All these are still 'potential'
clients. And may become more inclined to purchase your product or
services because of that increase in user-friendliness. Accessible
markup seems to improve search engine results.

regards

Henry

--
SEO Mastery