[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Joel Bernstein joel at fysh.org
Fri Feb 13 13:31:02 UTC 2009

2009/2/13 Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I always wonder why companies bother setting up in far flung places like
>> Reading
>
> Far flung?  27 mins from Reading to Paddington - that's quicker than
> many normal commutes within London.  Ok, granted we don't know how
> close the job is to the station, and we have to allow for time to get
> to Paddington, but I know lots of people living in London and working
> in London who have at least an hour's commute.

You're talking, conservatively, about an increase of 90 minutes
travelling time per day. Assuming you don't manage to get amazing
personal-life quality-time things done on the train and tube and thus
are doing (essentially) extra working hours for no greater
remuneration OR greater personal life quality, I think you'll see why
this isn't much of an option. If you can spare 90 minutes and up to
£100 a day for the privilege of working in Reading, you could either
have a shorter commute, work longer hours or have more personal time
in London. Again, why is the commute back out of London sensible? Fact
is, the mainline stations to get to Reading are just outside of normal
work areas but basically you would do a commute into London and then
piss about commuting back out again.

Of course 27 mins doesn't seem like a lot. 90 minutes (which it
inevitably turns into once you go each way, wait on platform for
trains, walk to work at the other end etc etc) is a good chunk out of
my day and one I am not really prepared to give up for the privilege
of work that doesn't ever seem more exciting or better remunerated
than in London. If anything the location of a company tells you a lot
about how much it cares about its staff...

/joel
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk