[Gllug] VACANCY: MySQL Database Architect (Reading, Berkshire, UK)

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Fri Feb 13 13:56:19 UTC 2009

On 13 Feb 2009, at 13:20, Stephen Nelson-Smith wrote:
[...]
> Far flung?  27 mins from Reading to Paddington - that's quicker than
> many normal commutes within London. Ok, granted we don't know how
> close the job is to the station, and we have to allow for time to get
> to Paddington, but I know lots of people living in London and working
> in London who have at least an hour's commute.

It would take me 70 minutes to get from my door (SW6 7EE) to Reading
station, assuming that the trains are running to timetable. That's a
foolish assumption.

Within 70 minutes, I can get to every station on the Tube network,
except for the District beyond Dagenham, the Central beyond Debden,
and Moor Park on the Metropolitan. These are not exactly quality
destinations either.

(I used the rather shiny http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/p5/tube_map_travel_times/applet/
  to determine the journey radius. It needs a fudge factor of another
5-10 minutes to account for the ropey service on the Wimbledon branch,
but that's a constant wherever I'm travelling.)

[...]
> Lots.  There are heaps of successful companies, employing very highly
> skilled and talented people in Reading, Guildford, Woking,
> Basingstoke.  Sometimes the pay is attractive too.

That assumes that the jobs are actually *in* those places, and not 45
minutes out to rural nothingness by horse and cart or whatever passes
for public transport.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk