[Gllug] Perl Question - Spam Filter for NMS Form Mail

Balbir Thomas balbir.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 21:25:53 UTC 2009

I have heard more than one professor of mine (Ohio State University)
mention that Object oriented programming
is essentially "Systems Thinking" applied to software engineering.
Over the years I am quite convinced that this is true.
Almost no engineer today would dare to design and implement any
sufficiently complicated systems without recourse
to some if not most of the techniques of "Systems Engineering".
Software systems tend to be some of the most
complicated man made systems. What is worse the complexity is
arbitrary complexity, i.e. does not have
hidden regularity, for instance such as those found even in natural
(real world) chaotic systems.

While functional programming has its benefits and seems to be in vouge
today I don't see how it can completely
(or to any measure) do away with the systems methodology (as embodied
in OO) in developing complex software
systems. But if it can assimilate it then maybe ...

Some Links :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_engineering
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_thinking
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systems_theory